|▲ Spirulina growing in water (source = Flickr)|
Spirulina is a kind of seaweed that grows in clean waters such as lakes and rivers. Spirulina is sold in pill or powder form and is made from healthy food or drinks.
|▲ spirulina powder (source = Wikimedia Commons)|
What is the efficacy of spirulina powder?
1. Healthy bacterial growth and AIDS prevention: Spirulina promotes healthy bacterial growth in the intestines. In addition, research has shown that the incidence of AIDS is low in countries that frequently consume seaweeds such as spirulina.
2. Antioxidant and skin protection: The antioxidant component of spirulina, picocyanin, prevents cell damage from aging. It protects the skin from ultraviolet rays and harmful bacteria and aging, and makes the skin glossy.
3. Cancer Prevention and Control of Cholesterol: Spirulina prevents cancer, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure, and reduces the risk of stroke. It also helps to lose weight while increasing energy.
4. Detoxification: Spirulina has a detoxifying effect and strengthens the immune system. It also suppresses cholesterol levels, lowers blood pressure and prevents allergies.
5. Diet effect: Spirulina with high quality protein helps to burn fat, make muscles and maintain fullness. Adding spirulina to a diet can supplement deficient nutrients.
|▲ Spirulina powder can be eaten in water (Source: Pixar Bay)|
What is the content of spirulina powder?
Spirulina powder contains various nutrients such as amino acids, vitamins and minerals. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, spirulina has antiviral properties and is effective against cancer. However, if ingested by people with autoimmune disorders, symptoms may worsen and it is best to consult a doctor.
What is the proper dose of Spirulina?
Experts recommend eating at least 3 g of spirulina every day. This is equivalent to a spoonful of powder or six 500mg tablets. Spirulina is a natural food, so you can take more. In addition, Spirulina supplement is effective to take 4 hours before bedtime, and it is good to consume for energy supplement before and after exercise.
How to eat spirulina?
Spirulina is available in a variety of forms, including powder. You can also put a spoonful of water in it. Spirulina powder can be put into a shake or smoothie, but teeth can become blue. Spirulina is a little spicy, so it is good to put it in a sweet flavored drink. You can also put it in dessert like chocolate brownies or truffles.