The kitchen sponge was made for the purpose of wiping dishes and bathroom tiles. However, even after washing, fine bacteria remain.
According to a recent study, sponges that regularly clean the inside of soap water or microwave ovens have bacteria called Moraxella osloensis.
This is a common bacterium that is harmless to the average person but can cause infection for people with weak immune systems.
Marcus Egett, a microbiologist at the University of Furthwagen in Germany, led the study. Egett insisted that bacteria should be boldly discarded if they start to smell from the sponge even if they do not harm you.
The US Department of Agriculture also recommends frequent replacement of the sponge if it is not well wiped.
Introduce other ways to prevent unpleasant bacteria from accumulating in the kitchen sponge.
It is important that you do not use sponges to wipe food debris or wipe away gravy and other dirty liquids. For meat broth or other liquids, use paper towels or running water.
If the purpose of use is different, you should use different sponges. For example, one sponge can be used to wipe the kitchen sink, the other to clean the floor, and the other to wipe the dish.
After using the sponge, be sure to wash your hands with soapy water, remove the ring and accessories from your hand, wash your hands for about 20 seconds, and dry with a clean towel.