|▲ There are many ways to measure the age of a cat, but it is common to convert or assign to a human age (Source = Pixels)|
Most cats who raise cats do not really know the exact age of their cats. Of course, it would be an exception if you were raised from the moment of birth, but it is impossible to know the precise age of the previous one, since you usually nurture your cat through adoption or sale.
However, one of the most important factors in raising cats is acquiring the ability to learn and learn various information through the development process of cats. To do this, it is helpful to know how old your cat is.
Calculation of age of cat
There are many ways to measure the age of a cat. Previously, the most common method was to divide into four categories. The first is to regard the birth as one year as a kitten, and the second is to consider the period of 1 to 10 years as an adult. He considered the elderly until 11-14 years old and the elderly after the last 15 years.
However, since the cat has been restructured to human age, two additional steps have been added. In the new cats age category, the chicks were up to 6 months of age, and 6 months to 2 years of junior. From 3 to 6 years of activity, 7 to 10 years of maturity, 11 to 14 years of age, And is classified as an elderly person for more than 15 years.
There is also a way to convert to human age. You can check as follows.
1. First, the first year of the birth of a cat is regarded as a human 15 years.
2. From the second year, add nine years, that is, if you are two years old, you are 24 years old.
3. Add 4 years for each year from now on.
4. Finally, use the Cat Age Chart to make sure your calculations are correct.
Determination of age of cat
Knowing the age of a cat is not a problem if it has been raised from the time of kittens, but it can be difficult to determine the age correctly if you have been adopted in the middle or brought a street cat.
In this case, a helpful way is to check the teeth. If the tooth is grown, it means the baby, and if the tooth is stained, it can be regarded as an adult or an old age.
It is also good to observe signs of sexual maturity. If a male cat is showing urine or showing his testicles, it is likely that he was probably only five months old. It belongs to the puberty stage. Likewise, female cats in this age group experience estrus.
|▲ Cat that has reached the age of seniority slows down and hearing loss and muscular atrophy (Source: Pixar Bay)|
Cats that grew older
Cats also grow like humans and undergo stages of aging. When aging progresses, it is desirable to visit the hospital frequently and check the health. In order to know if the cat has reached the age of old, careful observation is needed, and some signs can be found:
1. Slow Motion : Slowing the behavior of a cat is a relatively well-documented symptom. Because it can no longer emit the energy of childhood, it can slow down and take more naps than usual.
2. Hearing loss : Like humans, cats also lose their hearing when they get older. However, since this symptom is not visible, it is a good idea to get a checkup from a veterinarian.
3. Blurred eyes : Cat eyes undergo 'lenticular sclerosis', a normal sign of aging. This is a symptom of a bluish transparent fog on the pupil area, which does not affect your vision and you do not have to worry so much.
4. Thinning iris : Thinning and tapering of the iris occurs, but it does not affect vision as well as lens sclerosis.
5. Muscle Loss : If you have difficulty standing or walking, you may experience muscle mass or muscle atrophy.
The average life span of a cat
If the cats actually manage well, they can lead a happy life with their caregivers for quite some time. In other words, lifestyle is a very important factor. Wild cats, for example, have a life expectancy of only four to five years, but domestic cats can live up to 13 to 17 years. However, they rarely live to 20 years. In the case of overweight or obesity, it is known to live for less than 12 to 15 years.