The microchip is a small chip of the size of a grain of rice and is a tool to identify and identify animals with unique numbers. Pets such as dogs and cats are also inserted into animals such as birds, horses, dolphins, elephants, and snakes for research.
Once inserted, the microchip will remain in the animal's body for a lifetime, so it can be used in many ways, such as finding a host when a pet is lost or identifying a dog owner. The authorities concerned can prevent animal cruelty and indiscriminate breeding.
According to a study by pharmaceutical company Merial, microchip insertion is painless and safe for animals. It does not cause an allergic reaction or infection in the animal's body.
However, some studies have reported microchip side effects. According to a study published by the British Small Animal Veterinary Association, microchips can cause malignant cell growth in cats, dogs, rats and zoo animals.
In 2009, a Yorkshire terrier died of epithelial-positive lymphoma within a few months of insertion of the microchip. The tumor occurred at the site where the microchip was implanted.
Another dog suffers from progressive limb paralysis due to a misplaced microcontact in the dorsal nerve.
In rare cases, Microchip kills pets. According to an autopsy report in 2004, some cats died in a brain stem that moved inside the body.
Microchip is a tool that assures the identity of an animal, but rarely causes the worst.